Thursday, August 17, 2006

A big win!

My MTT experiences lately have not been much fun. I seem to be playing well enough (at least I think I am) but constantly finishing just on either side of the bubble. Last night I played one of my regular tournaments -- the $1.10, $200 guaranteed, turbo on UltimateBet at 0320. Truly, one of the most prestigious tournaments in the online poker world.

Just to help out all you people who have trouble with the whole time zone thing, that works out to be 7:20 pm for me. I figure that gives me a bit of an advantage. And there's often an overlay. How can that be bad?

Anyhow, I cashed third place, which was nice. Did I play well? Not particularly. I sucked out twice playing a dominated hand and hitting my kicker. To be fair, the second time it was only for half my stack and both our kickers were so low that a split pot was quite likely -- I was playing K2 from the small blind, when the BB pushed over my raise, and I thought both my cards would be live, in which case I easily had odds to call. Unfortunately, he had K4.

Then I had the difficult task of playing a big blind special -- T7 on a flop of TT7, hardly a major challenge. I got to be a big stack a little while before the bubble, and stole merrily away until the bubble burst. After that, the blinds just go up so quickly that all you can do is call the pushes when it seems right.

No details from the latter stages, as I forgot to pop a hand history window after some table change or other --- when oh when is UB going to introduce automatic hand histories? I know how I went out. Three handed, on the button with AJs. I had about 12BB and (just) the second biggest stack. I pushed and found the big stack in the small blind with AKo. No kicker this time, oh well.

Amazing though what even a trivial result like this (a whole $20 or so, whee) can do for your state of mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home