Thursday, August 17, 2006

Cash play is so frustrating!

I'm an academic. I think a lot, probably too much, about my game. To make it even worse I'm a math guy.

Playing an SNG or MTT, if I make a play that I consider abstractly best, and it goes wrong (a bad beat if you will), I have no problem dealing with it. I can separate the buy in from the chips and simply accept the outcome. I guess that part of the reason is the finite horizon of the event --- I don't have to wait for the "long run" and moreover I know I can't.

Cash games of course are different ... when things go wrong, you have to wait for the long run to set them right. And sometimes of course that seems a very long time indeed. Meanwhile, the emotional response (cash = food = survival) is very hard to resist.

No, try as I might, I can't resist mentioning what brought this little reflection on. Playing $10 NLHE (which hardly equates to a lot of food!) on about my 15th hand at the table, having done nothing but fold so far, I pick up AA. Ok stop reading now, you know what's coming.

Still with me? Ok, you asked for it.

Folds to me, I bet 3BB in MP, called only on the button. Flop is JT4 two suited. A bit worried about JT sure, and potential flush draws, I bet about 2/3 pot. Button raises pot. Somehow my read is that he has one of KQ, KJ, AJ but not the dreaded JT, JJ or TT (the raise seems too big). So I put him all in. I have him slightly covered, and the all in bet is basically another pot sized raise at this point. He calls with KJ (would you?). J on the river.

[The call is not hugely wrong -- I'm an 80/20 favourite and he's getting 2:1 odds. And he might read me for an open ended draw with flush possibilities or something like that as well I suppose. If he uses Harrington's 10% bluff rule, then unless he's sure that all my non-bluffs are overpairs, the call is probably correct mathematically. However, I somehow don't think these were his thoughts.]

Rebuy.

Four hands later at the same table I get AA again, UTG. Raise, button calls, BB goes all in. I go all in. Button goes all in. Gosh a three way all in preflop with aces. Sweet! UB doesn't expose the hands here, but the AKQ rainbow flop is not too unpleasant. Next a low brick, and finally a J. The other two hands? JJ and (of course) TT.

[Preflop: 67%, postflop 85%, postriver 0%]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home