Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Pride goeth before ...

Yesterday was Waitangi Day, when NZ celebrates the events that ensured Arts graduates with History degrees would never be unemployed. Other than a run (of which, more later), I decided to celebrate with a few SNG's on FullTilt, where my extremely small bankroll is basically found money.

I started with one of the $8.70 turbo satellites for a $24+2 token. My previous experience had confirmed the information from other bloggers that these are very soft indeed, full of people who have no idea how to play to the conditions of contest (specifically, that fifth is just as good as first). Yesterday, I was one of those people. With 6000 chips, and 10 players remaining, I chose to get involved in three successive pots against small stacks. Yes, I was in with the best of it each time, and yes, I was turned or rivered, but that's not the point. I had no business playing those pots, having put myself in a position where I could have waited for near certainties. Sigh.

I went relatively deep in both a 45 and a 90 person SNG (and, as I'd suspected I would, loved the latter, as it was double stacked), but without ultimate joy in either case. Feeling a bit tiltish, I decided to call it a day and watch the cricket. Back to the tables tonight.

My running is going pretty well. I took most of December off, being in Brisbane, and not really wishing to run in the heat (or sufficiently early in the morning to avoid it), and it took a while on my return to get back to previous levels (sometimes this getting older business really sucks). But I've now got my longer runs up to about 12k, and have been adding some speed work to my midweek shorter runs, in the hopes of increasing my base speed (which, at the moment is around 5:15/km -- certainly I'd like to have that under 5:00). It helps that the weather has been cooperative. February is by far the most reliable month for decent weather in Dunedin (which, given the generally unreliable weather here, is significant), and this year has, thus far, been no exception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home