Monday, February 05, 2007

That, not so much

Almost didn't play last night, but figured I could fit in the $2.20 at midnight while watching the cricket. NZ set a good total, but one that you just had to know Australia were going to reel in. Ah well, it means tomorrow's match against England has meaning.

Lost about 1/3 of my stack early, playing AJ on a QJx flop with two diamonds (ever since Hoyazo's latest rant, this hand has a sort of dread fascination for me). I knew that the player in the pot with me was chasing the diamond draw (especially when the turn came another Q), and I never gave him the odds to do so, but he did, and it duly arrived on the river. At least I didn't pay him off there -- no implied odds for you sir!

Chipped up a little with JT making top pair on a dry board, and then dropped back to about 1K again with T9 hitting an open ended straight draw on the flop, in a multi-way pot, with ample expressed odds (and the prospect of implied ones, particularly if an 8 hit) but no joy from the dealer. At that point I fully expected to make my exit somewhere in the first hour, a little wiser, but no richer.

Stars then began to torment me with good cards. So, by the end of the next orbit, I was over 2K in chips largely from uncontested pre-flop raises, but with hands like JJ, AQ and KK. Another 1500 came my way when I over-limped with JT offsuit from the button in a six way pot (blinds 75/150). The flop was JT7, all spades, checked to me. I bet 600 into the 900 pot, and got one caller. Turn was an offsuit 6, and I pushed, collecting the pot.

That, and a little more, was taken away the very next hand, when I pushed over a small stack's (500) all in with AQ. One of the blinds (1700) decided to come along for the ride with KJ. The small stack had QQ, but I was still due a small profit from the blind, until the river delivered a J. Sigh. Down to 1700 after passing through the blinds (now 100/200) I got 22 on the button and pushed. Called by K9 in the big blind (for about 1/4 of his chips, which seems a bit rich), but the ducks didn't crack (I'd say “quack” but I'm not sure whether quacking would be good or bad in context).

Cue slip slidin' away as the theme music for the next couple of orbits, as I got no cards, and no opportunities to steal (unless you count Q6 offsuit under the gun as such an opportunity ...) At 200/400, and down to 2400 chips in the BB, a huge stack limped UTG+1, and I had AT offsuit. I contemplated pushing immediately, but decided to see a flop. That duly arrived JTT. Check, check. Turn -- the case T! Check, 800, call. River, Q. Push fast! See me, being weak, trying a fancy stop and go, completely incorrectly. I got the call -- from A7. Go me! Not even a single “wow” was heard.

With more chips to play with (but still only 10-15 BB for the most part), and relatively passive opponents, I went into fairly aggressive stealing mode, keeping my head above water relative to the blinds. Early in the third hour, I hit my high water mark of 27K, after doubling up with TT (called by a stack of similar size holding A4?) and then picking off a smaller stack's push with AQ (v. AT).

Then I well and truly fell off the hippocamp. Halfway through the third hour, about 75 players remaining, blinds at 600/1200, I (23K) had JT suited on the button. Folded to me, I bet 3000 (some 2BB raises had been taking down pots, so I reined in a little from my usual 3BB). The SB (15K) called. Flop came AKJ, and the SB checked. I bet 5K. What? I did what? Who did that? The SB pushed, I cringed, remembered, too late, some good advice, and folded. I chipped up a bit to 19K, then fell back to 12K when my AK couldn't win a race against a small stack's 99.

At the end of that orbit, I'm at 11.5K with the blinds at 800/1600. UTG I pick up the black queens. I push, of course, and am called by a former big stack (now only about 23K), with the red eights. Flop is J63, all spades, leaving him one out. Which duly arrived on the turn. None of my 10 re-suck outs materialized on the river, so I finished with an excellent return of about $1/hr on my investment.

I was left to reflect on the fact that being one-outered on the turn, with a significant number of outs remaining to re-suck on the river, probably feels worse than being one-outered on the river. I'm sure that Al would agree.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home