Wednesday, June 27, 2007

And we're back

Paying due respect to my jet lagged state (but see below), I decided to minimize my financial risk at the poker tables last night, entering a $2.20 MTT and a $1.20 9-table SNG. I almost couldn't cope with the excitement ...

Discovered that I play passive when tired, and towards the end of the first hour (25/50 blinds) of the MTT was down to about 900 in chips. In late position I got 77 and decided to push over two limpers, just hoping to boost my stack a little. I hadn't been playing many pots, and I really didn't expect a call from either one of them. Unfortunately the BB woke up with AK and won the race. Hey it happens.

The exit from the SNG was a little more interesting. Still relatively early, I got JJ in the SB. Three limps (50 each) in front, so I (1285) raised to 300. Two of the limpers called, making a 1000 chip pot. The flop was a pretty dry T75 rainbow, and I simply pushed, hoping to pick up some money from a TPGK hand, and otherwise to avoid having to see the turn, while willing to take the chance that one of the other two had hit a set. After due reflection, the first of the limpers decided his T7 offsuit was worth a call. Welcome back to donkeytown. Let's just rewind a little ... oh never mind.

About jet lag. I actually don't think that the condition one suffers after crossing half the world's timezones should be called jet lag. Classic jet lag is when your body clock tries to stay on its "home" setting after crossing a few (three to six or so) time zones. It's hugely annoying, and can be nearly impossible to beat. After crossing twelve time zones, even your body clock realizes that something rather unusual has taken place and generally throws up its hands in the air and says "So all right, you tell me what time it is." But typically one gets about six hours of broken sleep in a 48 hour period during the trip, along with too much bad food, petty annoyances, stiff joints, etc. So it's not surprising to find that one is a little tired and grumpy for a few days after arrival. And I guess "jet lag" is as good a name as any for that.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home