Saturday, August 19, 2006

An early exit.

In this, and other posts of this type, it should go without saying that comments are welcome!

Middle stages of a low buy in tourney. Not near the bubble yet, but it seems like time to start making a move.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney,
Big Blind is t100 (9 handed)
Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: HTML)


SB (t3535)

BB (t2070)

MP3 (t3255)


Preflop: Hero is SB with Jc, Qc.

MP3 calls, I complete and the BB then raises to 300 called by MP3. Pot is 700 already and it costs me 200 to call. Seems clear.

Flop: (t900) 5c, 9c, Tc (3 players)

Looks like the jackpot flop for me, I check planning a check raise (I don't want hands with just the Ac or Kc to think about calling a continuation sized bet, but I'd like to build the pot). And then ...

Hero checks,
BB bets t600
,
MP3 raises to t1200
.

Now what? I'm not terribly worried about BB, I think he has AK or something similar --- even if he has a set of T's that's hardly a worry. But what's this raise from MP3 all about?

It seems to me he might have:
  • A set (9 hands - maybe discount TT a bit with no preflop raise)
  • A T and a high club (6 hands)
  • A made flush with the A or K of clubs, but not both (12 hands -- but do all of these bet in the first place, and call the preflop raise in the second? Also discount slightly because of the presumption that BB is holding A(K or Q))
Unfortunately, I've been multitabling tournaments and have no good reads. All in all though it feels like it's much more likely that I'm way ahead than that I'm way behind. On the other hand when I am way behind, I have exactly 1 or 2 outs! Pot is now 2700, it costs me 1200 to call, and if I'm ahead I don't want to give free cards to be drawn out on. Ok then, ...

SB raises to t3235, BB folds, MP3 calls t1755 (All-In).

...

Hero has Jc Qc (flush, queen high).
MP3 has Kc 2c (flush, king high).

Ah well, guess I should have had a better read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home