Saturday, August 19, 2006

A little knowledge ...

Playing in a $2 PokerStars tournament, we're all in the money, but there are still over 100 people playing, the cash at this point is miniscule (even relative to the buy in) and dozens of people need to be knocked out in order to move up in the payout scale.

But of course you must check down any hand where someone is all in right?

After the events of the hand I am about to recount, the victim to my right berated me for dozens of hands, as "she" said that she'd had a middle pair, and we should have cooperated to knock the big blind out. I put she in quotes, because her language was quite unladylike (in fact, more than that, there were a couple of give aways, but never mind).

Blinds are 400/800 with a 50 ante, and the big blind is all in for 480.

My right hand neighbour calls 800, and in late position with around 20K chips, I have QdJd and overcall. The SB drops out, and as noted the big blind is all in. Note that the main pot is 2290 and there's a side pot of 640.

Flop is A74 rainbow, no diamonds. My neighbour checks, and I bet 800. She folds, fearing an A. The BB has KT, neither of us improve and he wins the main pot.

Now let's think about my move here. In the event, with my neighbour folding, the net effect was that my bet was returned, and I won the side pot. As a result I was contesting a main pot for 2290 in which I had effectively only invested 160, holding QJ against a random hand. Even post flop, I don't need PokerStove to tell me that those are good odds!

If she'd raised, obviously I would have dropped out with a loss of 1600 on the hand, and if she'd called, I would have returned to checking it down. But I had a pretty good read, that I was going to get a fold.

Of course what really set her off was that the BB promptly went on a tear (and in fact wound up outlasting both of us, as I exited somewhere in the 30's running my KK into AK). But, that's quite irrelevant. Isn't it?

1 Comments:

Blogger D said...

Unless elminating this player significantly increases the chance of you winning or the amount of your prize, I don't see a problem with it. First off the prize is so small it doesn't matter and its not the bubble. Now if you know this player is a better player than you, then checking down is the right move. I think you played it right.

12:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home