Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Not the big game

I didn't play in the big game yesterday, though I did stop by the final table briefly to ensure that no chip stealing shenanigans á la WSOP were taking place. Katitude, Iakaris and others have written all about it. Katitude even manages to work in an Elvis Costello reference, which must be a good thing.

Why didn't I play? I guess the main reason was that my current bankroll at FullTilt stands at $0. Even with repeated assurances of the triviality of assembling the buy in through token peep sex I just never managed to summon up the energy to move some virtual dollars around. Besides, I had smaller fish to fry.

I've alluded in the past to a group of micro buy in tournaments at PokerStars, which I regularly play in. This group of four tournaments starts most days (except early in the week) at 21:47, 22:02, 22:07, and 22:17. For yesterday's group (for those concerned about my employment, it was a public holiday in NZ -- start time 14:47), the buy ins totalled $6.70. Return on investment? Oh, just a shade over 8100%. That's $552. So maybe now I'll replenish my FullTilt bankroll.

Obviously, these enormous low buy in MTT's are the biggest of donkaments. I'm not going to reveal my great strategic insights for dealing with them -- because, as Samuel Johnson apparently never said or wrote:

It contains much that is good and original. Unfortunately, that which is good is not original, and that which is original is not good.

Besides, on the off chance that there was something of value in it, what would be the benefit to me of telling you? But I can't resist passing on one observation: there is always someone who doesn't believe that you have the nuts, even if your betting pattern suggests in no uncertain terms that you do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home