Sunday, November 19, 2006

Cut off that button!

I'm waiting for the second All Blacks v. France test to begin in about half an hour's time. It had been my plan to go for a run first thing in the morning today, before the match, but it's raining and windy, and the forecast promises some improvement later in the day, so I've put that off. Well of course, a bit of early Sunday morning poker was called for, obviously, particularly as bloglines seems to be having some problems. So I fired up a couple of two table turbo S+G's on PokerStars.

Busted relatively early in one, when an attempt, with TT, to pick up about 250 in "dead money" in the form of limps and the BB with an all in from the SB backfired as one of the limpers had KK. The other, I eventually took second, hitting a massive run of cards at the first table including a triple up on the very first hand when I was able to limp K7s from late position and hit top and bottom pair on the flop, and various people decided to chase flush draws, more or less coasting to the money through some card deadness, and then picking up a few hands and making a few moves at the right time.

One situation arose at the first table which reminded me a bit of the hand I posted yesterday from Iak's great run.

Blinds are 50/100. I'm(7500) in the cutoff, folded to me with AA. I bet 300 (I'm one of those "always make the same raise" guys, except when I'm not). The button(600) calls(!), as does the SB(3500), who is the only other player at the table whose play I respect at this point (he went on to win). The BB folds.

Flop is JJ4 rainbow, and the SB checks. The pot is exactly 1000 at this point, and the question is how to size my bet. I decide to bet 1000. Predictably the button calls for his last 300, and then the SB goes all in. It would cost me 2200 to call, giving me about 2:1 odds. Following my plan, I folded at this point. Button had TT and SB had KJo (loose call initially -- perhaps my respect was not so well placed). An Ace came on the turn (of course) but I was happy with my play.

The issue is the sizing of the bet on the flop -- I wanted to bet enough that it would be a tempting target to the SB if he had a Jack, engendering an all in, but little enough, that I could fold to it with some confidence. Could I have saved a few hundred chips with a smaller bet? Perhaps. Interesting to think about all the possible options.

Even a check is not out of the question -- anticipating an all in from the button for her last 300 chips, and then trying to read the SB's response to that. Betting exactly enough to put the button all in looks like an attempt to set up a cooperation play, and I was worried that might lead to a raise from the SB with, for example, an underpair as an attempt to put some dead money in the pot.

Ten minutes to kickoff. Time to refill the coffee cup and put this one to bed.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home