Thursday, November 30, 2006

Sticks and stones

It hasn't happened for a while (which is nice), but I had a player lose it last night and berate me in chat for a good ten minutes. I have to admire him, he always kept it just on the right side of offensive so there was no temptation to report him or anything. I decided early on not to play along, and just kept my peace. Oh, the hand? Well it hardly matters but anyhow.

Large micro MTT (he added redundantly). We're into the (tiny) money. Blinds are 400/800/50.

On the button, I(6900) have A♣4♣. MP(14,000) limps, two folds, and I raise all in. The SB(6500) calls all in, BB and MP fold. He turns over Q♦Q♠. I had my flush by the turn, and none of his four outs for a boat hit on the river. And then it began ...

The most common theme was my equine ancestry, though there were also frequent references to my intellectual disabilities. Perhaps most amusing were his speculations concerning my motivation in making the push "thinks any ace is gold", "wanted a call" etc.

Should I bother defending myself even here? Oh, what the heck.

It's not a play I would make every time the situation in terms of my cards and chips arises, but I thought there were some positive indications. I'd been playing very tightly, and expected the raise to get respect, particularly over a limp. Obviously, I'm hoping for folds all around which would boost my stack by almost a third. The MP limp seemed likely to be a lowish pair, some sort of connectors, or random paint. It seemed likely that MP would fold, rather than committing almost half his stack to the pot. Obviously, if I got called by a blind I would probably be way behind (as in fact I was), but I was willing to take that risk. And there you have it.

I couldn't resist looking my opponent up on sharkscope and thepokerdb just now. Looks like he's a relatively successful micro MTT player, but without any big cashes. So, I suspect, a case of severe frustration at consistently getting into the money but not pushing on. Better luck next time sir.

Oh yes, I finished 21/2325, knocked out when I held A♠T♠ by K♣Q♥ (he, a frequent stealer, made a 3BB raise from the cutoff, and I, with about 13BB, pushed from the button).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home