Sunday, October 07, 2007

How to win at Sit and Gos

This morning, having an hour to kill before the kick off of the event of which we will never speak again (la, la, la, la, ..., I can't heeeeaaaaarrrrrr you!), and not being willing to watch the pregame show without some diversion, I fired up a turbo Sit and Go on Stars. Which I won. And as a result of which, I can now share the three word secret to winning at Sit and Gos:

Be a luckbox.

I had no hands in the early levels, and we were well into the 75/150 level before the first elimination at the table occurred. Down to 1200 chips I then picked up KK in the cutoff. All folded to me, and with a small stack in the SB I decided to try a minimum raise for tactical reasons (and, because anyone who had just seen me fold a zillion hands in a row would be unlikely to call anything else). The SB came along (he had less than a full call), and then the BB doubled my bet. I raised all in of course and was delighted to be facing KT in the SB and TT in the BB. No disasters on the board and I was up to 2,500 chips.

At 100/200 I got AA on the button. One limper in front, but he and the blinds folded to my raise to 600. So far, a fairly normal SnG. But, the card deadness returned.

I drifted down below 1500 again when I felt I needed to take a small stab at a paired flop in a blind v blind limpfest. Unfortunately, my co-blind had a flush draw and an ace and wasn't going anywhere.

On the bubble now, but truly on life support, with only 600 remaining after posting the SB, I pushed with A7 after two folds and collected the blinds and antes. And then the luckbox factor kicked in. On the next hand, from the button (200/400/25), I pushed with K4 suited. The small blind, A6 suited called. The flop came 578. The turn paired his ace. And the river two paired him, hitting my gutshot.

Pushed TT from UTG on the next hand, and collected blinds and antes. Suddenly, I was actually second in chips (but a long way back of first). Next hand, the bubble popped. UTG was all in for less than a full blind with KQ against my mighty 96. I paired, he didn't. Next, my A5 lost to the remaining small stack's A9 making me the small stack, but I returned the favour with A8 beating his A6, making a gratuitous full house. Split pot with my AK against the other big stack's A5 (double paired board, sigh.)

The small stack made his exit when his K2 suited couldn't beat the other player's T6 offsuit (Broadway straight on the river), and we settled down to heads up. With the blinds already at 300/600 it was basically a pushfest. After a few exchanges in his favour I was outchipped almost 3:1. But JT was good enough against A6 for a double up. Then, after drifting off a bit again, I essentially ended it with T9 against A7 despite a J73 flop. The T on the turn was nice, and the other one on the river, unnecessary, but even nicer.

It was then of course a formality that my 87 would win the next hand against T4 (all in for less than the BB preflop) despite a T64 flop. The 9 on the turn was surely inevitable. So, there we have it. Not actually as lucky as I remembered it, but I certainly won more than my share of 35-40% hands.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WindBreak247 said...

Man, that's a LONG SNG!!

3:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home