Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'm just sayin' ...

Something ...

All the usual apologies for not posting more. We'll see whether I can muster up the determination to keep this going on a regular basis. If not, a retirement party will be announced. In the spirit of not trying to run 10km on your first return to running after a 10 year layoff, let's just start with a fairly humdrum hand.

Playing $25NL I picked up J♠T♠ in middle position. The table had been a bit of a limp-fest, so I happily limped over two others in early position. The best laid plans duly went awry, when the cutoff raised to $1. What a silly raise though -- even the first caller was going to be getting 3:1 odds, and they'd improve thereafter. All the limpers, myself included duly called.

The flop was pretty good for me: 4♠9♠Q♦ giving me the famed OESD plus flush draw. Inevitably, the first two limpers checked, so I bet $3. The raiser folded (AK? TT?). One of the two limpers called, so it was HU and I had position.

The 2♠ completed my flush on the turn. Limper, quickly it seemed (as far as one can judge online), bet $3 into the (roughly) $10 pot. Now comes the decision about which I'd like comments.

I raised to $9 on the grounds that I wanted to take away drawing odds from the K♠ or A♠. He'd be getting 11:3 and might well be tempted to call, but I knew that there were fewer outs left than he might have thought he had (go on parse that -- I dare you). When he folded quickly, I was left with the feeling that perhaps I might have collected a bit more.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fuel55 said...

Played correctly. JTs is a raising hand though. Even money against the standard donkey range: 22+,A2s+,K8s+,Q8s+,J8s+,T8s+,98s,87s,76s,65s,A2o+,K9o+,QTo+,JTo

10:32 am  
Blogger WindBreak247 said...

IMO, its all about your style of play. There's two ways you can play this.

1. Play it the way you did and collect your winnings, satisfied.
2. String along the potential flush draw, willing to take the chance that he hits and you have to get away from it, or that he misses and maybe you can pick up an additional value bet.

I like the way you played it.

8:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home