Friday, August 31, 2007

How not to play aces (2?)

Perhaps I'll make this my "signature" story. We'll see ...

Anyhow, in the present instance UTG+2 open limps ($0.25) with AA. Next to him, I hold 88 and call. A late position player makes it $1.25, folding the blinds. The original limper calls (!) as do I (stacks are full, and we're heading towards the mines ...)

The flop is T96 rainbow. Mr. "I slowplay Aces" bets $0.25 into the $4.00 pot. At 17:1 I almost have direct odds to call for my set value alone, never mind the gutshot. I actually give some thought to raising, and almost certainly would if the pot were heads up, but, with the original raiser still to act, choose to believe that discretion is the better part of valour and simply call.

The original raiser now bets pot (it's pot limit). Finally Mr. ISA wakes up and reraises pot. My third pair plus gutshot no longer look so good, and I fold. A raising war ensues until all the money is in.

Turn and river are more or less irrelevant (except for not being an A) as the pot is shipped to the original raiser's set of 9's.

"Of course" says Mr. ISA. The entire table shows remarkable awareness of the importance of not tapping the glass, and refrains from adding further comment.

So, what do we learn from today's episode boys and girls? It may be important to vary your play and occasionally limp AA (though I think that even that is debatable unless you are consistently playing against the same opponents), but having done so and having obtained a raise behind you, dare I suggest that a significant reraise is in order?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home