Sunday, February 25, 2007

I promised

A write up of the $4/180 from yesterday in which I placed third. But, reviewing the hands, there really isn't much to say. So, just a few highlights.

First off, an episode of serious donkery from yours truly. At 75/150 I (5500) had 99 in LP. Folds to me and I raised to 450. Folds to the BB (4300) who min-raised. I reraised to 2100 and the BB called. Flop QJ8 rainbow, and he checked. I pushed my remaining chips into the 4200 pot, and he called with his final 2300, and turned up KK. Ooops. Fortunately Riverstars was there for me with a 9 on the river.

That hand actually had quite a good effect on me. As well as giving me a comfortable 50BB stack at that point, I was also so embarrassed at my play that I really turned up the concentration a notch. Not sure that's the best way to reach such a position though!

Fast forward to the final table. I hadn't been able to make any progress in the period from the bubble down to the FT, and my chip stack was just around 17K and 7th of 8 remaining. With blinds at 800/1600/75 it was starting to get a bit tight. So, I was happy to see QQ UTG+2, with two folds in front of me. Having just over 10BB and with the antes and the blinds already in the pots, I could have pushed, but I decided that I wanted to be a bit more ambitious, so I started with a raise to 4000. I was not impressed when this wound up getting three callers. Fortunately, the flop was a two-tone 874, and I just pushed my remaining 13K into the 17.5K pot, taking it down.

Some chat ensued (it was a friendly final table) and I inferred that several players thought my push there had been a move. Two hands later, now UTG, I picked up JJ. With about 30K now, I started with 4000 as usual. Again, I was not impressed to pick up three callers. But, completing the parallel, the flop was kind: 864 rainbow. So, I put in 12K. My neighbour (70K) min raised, knocking out the other two callers. I chose to consider myself pot-committed, and also that he might think I was making a move “again”, so I pushed. He called the paltry additional 2K or so, and showed 22. No runner runner straight, or a 2 appeared on the turn or river, and suddenly I was the chip leader.

And just a few hands later, I was now in the cutoff, and picked up TT. All fold to me, and I put in the usual 4000. This time just the BB (20K) called. On a K75 rainbow flop he led with 4800 into the 9500 pot. I had a pretty good feeling about his range, ruling out AK or an overpair to me except possibly JJ because he hadn't raised preflop (though a stop and go of a sort is an interesting tactic from the BB in this situation). So, the only hands I was worried about beating me were basically KQ, 55 and 77. Against that, there were a lot of hands that might c-bet this flop (AQ, AJ, AT, lower pairs). So I pushed, he called after some thought, and he turned over AQ. This time RiverStars was his friend, delivering a Q. Even more annoyingly, he went on to win, combining a couple more lucky breaks with some good play.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home