Friday, March 09, 2007

Reasons to like NZ

Aside from the obvious ones ...

Part of the process of buying a new house is getting a title and permit search done through the local city council. I was a bit worried when there was a big sign in the office reading “Expedited searches not available at present due to demand”. So, I had to settle for the “standard” search which might take up to two business days (still plenty of time, as I had a week to confirm the contract). Less than six business hours later, the council ring to tell me that the material is available (oh yeah, the cost for this service --- a whopping NZ$40).

Likewise, arranging my mortgage, a grand total of two phone calls consuming about 30 minutes of my time, in spite of the fact that there were some complications requiring changes to bank account details etc. (oh yeah, “By the way, we'll waive the processing fees, and pay your solicitor's costs for the settlement”). The other thing about this aspect of the deal is that after 20 minutes of research I knew that, however much shopping around I did it would make at most a difference of one tenth of one percent on the interest rate. So, I was happy to deal directly with a bank with whom our customer relationship has been excellent, without any worry that I might be costing myself significantly.

And I know that when the time comes to change the insurance cover that will be a 10 minute job too.

It's just nice to live somewhere where you can confidently assume when dealing with “service” industries that: a) no one is trying to rip you off; b) no one will assume that you are trying to rip them off; and c) there's a pretty good chance that the person you're dealing with will actually “think” and come up with a suggestion to your mutual benefit.

There endeth the sermon ...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger 23skidoo said...

Congrats on the new house! So when is the best time to come surfing and or heli-skiing?

3:24 am  
Blogger Michael Albert said...

Surfing most any time (but bring a wetsuit regardless!). Skiing, generally July for the best "winter" conditions. But it's never really all that cold (by northern North American standards)>

2:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home