Thursday, September 06, 2007

Drip, drip, drip

That's the sound that has been coming from my bathroom faucet for some time, so today I thought the time had come to repair a leak. Unfortunately, I didn't get very far with it. In common with most Kiwi houses, there's only a single cut off valve for the water -- a tap in a hole in the sidewalk, where the main pipe comes in to the house. And evidently it hasn't been used for a while. In fact, I was quite unable to fully turn off the water. I could manage to restrict the flow so that if I ran the tap in the tub, then I didn't get water at the sink, but I wasn't very happy with that as an assurance if I started to take the hardware apart. So, no joy on that front.

But, when I sat down to play a bit of poker, I was happy to find out that apparently without any conscious intervention on my part, at least one leak had been plugged. In the past, in card dead sessions I had a habit of losing much more than I should have. On the rare occasion that I actually did get into a pot, I tended to be unwilling to fold. Today, despite cards that had my "voluntarily put in pot" percentage in the single figures at four different tables, I managed to avoid that.

And, just to make sure that I appreciated the lesson, the poker gods rewarded me with two hands that were enough to lock in a moderate win for the session. The first "a draw too far":

PokerStars Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: HTML)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q♣, A.
UTG calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1, 2 folds, MP3 calls $1, 3 folds, BB calls $0.75, UTG folds.

Flop: ($3.35) Q, 8♣, 5♣ (3 players)

BB checks, Hero bets $2, MP3 folds, BB calls $2.

Turn: ($7.35) 6♠ (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5.

River: ($17.35) A(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB calls $5.

Final Pot: $27.35

Villain had A♣9♣ so I guess the river made me some money. But if he thought he was getting any implied odds from me if another club hit, he would have been surprised.

And the second was a classic set under set cooler for my opponent. I'd limped from early position with pocket 8's. The flop came A♠8♠3♣. The blinds checked and I put in a half pot sized bet. The button called, as did one of the blinds. At this point, and based on some reads, I actually thought the button was on a decent ace and thought he had me outkicked (or, remembering back, a spade draw). The Q♣ on the turn looked good to me as I hoped for a two pair hand now. Still, I had to make the spade draw pay for the privilege of seeing the river (especially as the pot was still three handed). So, I led $1.50 into the $2.50 pot. A min raise from the button was good news, and cleaned out the blind. I reraised to $7 and he just called. The 9 on the river was a problem only if he had precisely T♠J♠ (no other JT was consistent with the previous action), so I led fairly confidently with $5 into the $16.50 pot.

Had I known about the set of three's, I might have tried a bit more. But, showing some discipline, he just called.

If only the other leak could have been so easily taken care of ...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home