Thursday, October 12, 2006

Scenes from a Sit and Go

No, this is not a post about events in the smallest room. That's not my thing, and if it's yours, may I ask you to leave this blog now please. Anyhow, though this is not a post about events in the smallest room, that's where my game has seemed to be lately particularly in multi table turbo SNG's. So I decided to return to my roots, the single table non turbo variety. It isn't very exciting, but it has certainly been profitable. So without further ado, here are the promised scenes:

Note Parenthesized numbers after a player identification are stack counts. Sharp eyed readers will note that these don't always add up correctly -- I've rounded when it's immaterial (i.e. always.)

Our first casualty (BB = 30)
EP(1350) who hasn't made a raise in the first three orbits does so now (to 3BB). The BB(1300) with 9♣9♥ is the only caller. Fair enough. Flop is J♣7♦6♥. BB continuation bets 90 into the 195 pot. EP raises to 240. At this point I'd be folding in the BB -- but no, a raise to 600 follows. Smooth called by EP. Turn is the 8♥ and BB pushes his remaining chips into the pot, called by A♣A♥ (are we surprised? I think not.) None of BB's 10 outs materialize on the river and we're down to eight.

EP's only worry can be a flopped set -- but if he plans to call the push after the turn, then he should be getting all the money in on the flop. Or maybe he thought the BB would fold after committing 600 chips to the pot?

Shit happens (BB = 30)
I'm(1450) in the SB with A♥6♥. Two limpers in front so I complete. The flop is a glorious Q♥5♥4♥. Now I never slowplay, but decided that this just might, just maybe, be the right time for it. The first limper bets 150 into a 120 pot! The next limper, who covers me by 90 chips raises to 390! I smooth call. Sadly, but not unexpectedly, we lose the first limper. Turn is the K♣. I continue the slowplay, and the remaining player who has me covered by 90 chips pushes. I call of course. He has K♥7♥. Poor guy. Anyhow, he proves to be the best of my opponents and lasts to finish third (courtesy of only one slightly lucky triple up a few hands later). The early double up places me in very good position for the remainder of the SNG.

A lucky escape (BB = 50)
I'm(3100) in early position, and put in a slightly frisky (for me) raise to 3BB with 6♦6♥. My immediate neighbour(2100), whom I've already marked as a bit of a lunatic, calls, as does a LP player. BB the unlucky fellow from the last hand, pushes to 300. I call of course, and now my lunatic neighbour over pushes. The other caller folds. I suspect that I'm ahead, but since even lunatics get hands occasionally, I fold. BB has K♣Q♣. Lunatic has 8♠7♠(?) I'm cursing when the flop comes 8♥6♣2♣. Had lunatic just called I would have been in a position to extract some chips here. My curses turn to grins on a final board of: 8♥6♣2♣9♣10♠. At least the lunatic didn't win any chips even with his runner runner straight.

Two for the price of one (BB = 100)
Seven handed, in the BB(3400) I get 9♦9♠. EP(250) limps, and SB(1100) raises to 400. Since EP is already pot committed, that feels to me like an attempt to isolate with possibly a marginal hand. I raise to 1500, enough to put both opponents all in if they call. My hope is that EP will call, but SB will fold. That then gives me an essentially free play against EP's hand. However, EP with A♥Q♦ calls as does SB with K♣Q♥. I must not be playing tightly enough! Turns out I have 46% equity in the three way pot (having contributed less than a third of it, since I'm in the BB) and with one of SB's outs dead 55% equity in the side pot. All becomes more or less academic when the flop is three small including a nine. I can only lose to SB's runner runner flush, but that doesn't happen.

And then there were three (BB = 150)
Five handed, I'm UTG(4900) with 6♠2♠. Sorry, I fold. My lunatic neighbour(850) bets 450. I guess there's some rule that says the only allowed raises are 3BB. Button(3750) raises to 750. SB(2800) and BB(1150) both call. I like my decision not to get involved in this pot. Now the lunatic pushes for his remaining 80 chips over the raise, and everyone calls of course. Flop is A♣J♣8♠, SB pushes his remaining 1950 into the dry side pot, BB gets out with 400 chips left, and the button calls. SB has the royal flush draw (K♣Q♣), lunatic has the powerful A♠3♠ (to be fair, in his position I'd have raised -- or rather pushed preflop anyhow), and button has A♥Q♥. Turn and river are small red cards and we're all in the money. Of course, I've lost my chip lead!

Nothing more to see here
I take out the unlucky fellow from earlier, when in the BB I can call his all in raise for less than one full bet. My Q♠6♠ beats his A♦K♣. Two handed goes on a long time, but my opponent is far too passive and the routine is roughly: I build a 3-1 chip lead by taking small pots with aggression, call an all in with pot odds, lose. Repeat. Eventually, he got frustrated with all my apparent stealing and took a stand with J♣10♥ on a 7♠7♥5&clubs flop over a continuation bet from me. Poor timing -- I held 7♦5♥.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger slb159 said...

Oh, and you have inspired me to brush up on my skillz with the Dirac delta function, integration by parts, Euler's equation and some random theoretical mechanics. Yay math!
Damn that stupid math minor I got from Penn State...has done me no g00t whatsoever.
;)

12:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home