Monday, March 12, 2007

BloggerPods report

The rescheduled ,bloggerPod tournament went off without a hitch today, which saved me from having to buy another house or something similar. Before I embark on my report though ...

It appears that there were a number of non-bloggers who entered. Of course the password mechanism that regulates entries into these tournaments is hardly secure, but whatever, their presence reduced the normally high standards of decorum and wit that one has come to expect from blogger gatherings. Now normally I am violently opposed to using regulation as a tool to attempt to encourage appropriate behaviour, but it seems to me that the poker sites have just missed an obvious software solution here.

Basically, the organiser of a private tournament should have admin privileges (to use a bit of geek speak). Two obvious routes suggest themselves. One is that the organiser supply a list of eligible players to the site (and that this list can be modified). Then if an outsider attempts to register he/she simply gets a message saying “contact admin”. The alternative, slightly less convenient solution is to allow arbitrary registration, but each registrant has to be approved by admin. Neither of these imposes any inconvenience on legitimate players, and as nearly as I can judge would be trivial to implement.

Ok, so on to the report.

Folded for a while. Limped suited connectors. Folded to a bet on flop. Folded some more (the final table of EPT Dortmund was on webcast, so this wasn't quite as deadly dull as it might have been).

I (1365) Picked up KK in MP at 20/40. Raised to 100 (I'd decided 2.5BB was going to be my standard raise in this tournament). katitude (880) called, as did the BB (3825). Kat and I had been chatting about when she was going to come to Dunedin for a visit -- she said, when she raised a stake for the trip in online poker. On a J44 flop with two spades (I have spade king), I bet 240 into a 320 pot. katitude went all in with top pair top kicker, and failed to improve. She said, “looks like it will be a while”. Now what I want to know is where she was planning to get a trans-Pacific flight for $8.50. Heck, I even want to know if it was the cash equivalent for an iPod!

Fold some more. Then I (2305) pick up A♥3♥ in MP. Somewhat randomly, I raise again to 100, getting called by jessehjesseh (2340) and the BB (3845). The flop was a not unpleasant 2♥4♥7♥. Even I slowplay this one, and we checked it out. On the 2♣ turn, I took a blatant stab at the orphan pot, betting 200. jesseh pushed over the top, and, though I suspected a misplayed hammer (simply calling my original raise rather than reraising), I felt I had to call. Nope, it seems that I'd successfully represented a weak hand as I was facing A♠K♥.

At 25/50 I opened with a raise holding TT on the button. Called by the BB who also called by 200 continuation bet on the K77 flop. We then checked the Q turn, and he led with a near pot sized bet on the river 5. I folded. What a wimp.

Then I had a rather embarrassing moment. I (4250) limped T9 offsuit over Schaubs (2200). The two of us and the BB see a flop of T52 rainbow. I make a pot sized bet, which eliminates the BB, but Schaubs calls. The turn is a 7, and my bet of 350 into the 520 pot is check-min-raised. For some reason I call. I'm tormented by a 9 on the river, and call the 2/3 pot sized all-in. Set of 7's.

AA, no action. Chips are dripping away.

At 50/100, I'm down to 1380 and get 88 in MP. I raise to 250, and my immediate neighbour tharley61 raises to 900. All fold back to me. If I'm going to call, I might as well push, so I do. He has AK offsuit and I win the race.

Fold some more, and then more than double up when I get a free play in the big blind with Q9 offsuit, which makes top two pair on the flop. I check raise over two minimum bets, get one call, and then push on the J turn. Called by K9??? No disaster ensues.

My AK offsuit is run down by a micro-stack's J3.

At this point I have a slightly better than average stack of around 5K. I pick up KK, UTG+2 at 100/200. My raise to 500 is met by a 2150 push from wwonka69. I call of course, and he shows AT offsuit. The 982 rainbow flop doesn't look terribly threatening until followed up by a 6 and then a 7.

AA, no action again.

Now my turn for a bit of luck. With 2500 remaining at 125/250/25, I pushed from the SB (no limpers) on AJ offsuit, only to find the BB with AQ suited. Fortunately, a jack on the flop sent the chips to me.

My QQ got a call from HighOnPoker, but no further action after a J85 flop, which I bet out of position. Perhaps should have been a bit more greedy there.

With the blinds increasing there was the usual amount of bouncing around, but I was hanging in reasonably well in 7th to 9th place. Until ...

At 150/300/25 on the button, I (7250) have AK offsuit. fulltiltpkr07 in the cutoff, has me covered, and pushes preflop. I call of course, and am delighted to find myself up against KQ suited. Except the flop delivered two cards in his suit and a queen. No subsequent help for me, and I go home in 13th place.

Had fun though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home