Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sick

Just finished my first set of 20 single table turbo sit and goes. These were all $3.40's on Stars. In the money, 60%. Return on investment, 81%. That's sick and unsustainable, but I can't deny it's nice. Breakdown by position: 1st (4), 2nd (5), 3rd (3), 4th (1), 5th-7th (6), 8th-10th (1).

Being a wuss, I'm banking half my profit, and putting the rest back into the next set, which will therefore consist of 11 $3.40's, and 9 $6.50's. I used my mad Excel skillz to randomise the order that I'll play them in (I couldn't find a deck of cards to pull out 11 reds and 9 blacks, which would have been easier.)

Did I learn much from the first set? Not a lot, other than that the play at these is very very very bad indeed. But, it's not always the same kind of bad, so exploiting it isn't entirely trivial. Table characteristics do seem to depend on time of day/week, though I wasn't recording that data so it's purely anecdotal (and in any case the sample is far too small to be drawing conclusions from).

There was one very interesting hand in the last one of these that I played:

Blinds at 25/50, three players have been eliminated (it was a very active table).

UTG+1, I (2950) have A♣T♦. I'd often fold this hand, but down to seven handed, raised it to 150. My immediate neighbour (2950) called, which meant absolutely nothing. The SB (1400) also called.

Flop A♠K♣5♠. SB bets 200 into a 500 pot, which smells like a flush draw (or maybe a king). I call, awaiting developments, and my neighbour calls as well.

Turn is the T♣. SB bets 200 again making the pot 1300. I raise to 800. My neighbour calls. The SB folds.

River is a very nasty K♦ counterfeiting my second pair. I check, and my neighbour goes all in. We started with identical chip counts, so I'm faced with calling 1800 into a 4700 pot.

I've marked him as a lunatic and he's made big bets on a number of previous hands with very little. Against that, I'm calling to a chop against any worse ace, a loss against AJ or AQ, and a loss against any K or QJ. Basically, I'm only beating air (or a busted spade draw).

I folded. Thoughts?

Postscript: After the hand, there was some cursing from the SB (to his credit he kept quiet until then), which leads me to think he had a K. And I went on to win.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home