Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Presto is, unfortunately, gold (with extra bonus hand!)

Yes yes, still donking away at $25 NL. I'm in the middle of a card dead session, but am actually slightly to the good owing to a couple of flush hands. Unfortunately, it's hard to get these to pay off big as one of the graduation criteria between $10NL and $25NL seems to be the ability to recognize that three suited cards on the board is perhaps an indication that caution is order. But, I digress ...

A tight aggressive player with a $6.35 stack limps from UTG+2. I have A♣Q♥ on the button and raise to $1. The blinds fold, and the annoying small stack limper now pushes all in. This of course screams small pair, and I have the odds to call. Other hands are certainly possible, but I think that I'm extremely unlikely to be dominated and am either racing against a small pair, or perhaps dominating a painted suited connector that decided to get frisky. In that range there is of course only one hand that dominates me, Presto!

PokerStars of course maintains the suspense in cash games. The flop of Q♣J♣2♦ was pretty good for me. But, the turn was 5♣ and I knew it was all over. There would be no club on the river, or if there was it would be the 2♣. In fact the 10♦ came on the river adding more two pair worries. But, you know what he had.

My other big losing hand in the session was my own fault, though you're more than welcome to tell me otherwise. UTG I picked up A♣K♦ which, in my card dead state, certainly looked like the nuts. I raised to $1 (I've bumped my standard raise to 4BB -- this seems to be a psychological barrier for some players, and I find $1 gets multiple calls much less frequently than $0.75 does. But again, I digress.)

My semi-loose neighbour called, as did the rockish BB. The flop came A♠Q♣3♥. BB checked and, though worried about AQ I decided not to imagine monsters, and bet $2. This disposed of my neighbour, but the BB called once more.

The Q♦ turn lessened the a priori odds of AQ in his hand, but added KQ to the hands that I was behind (QJ a bare possibility for this player). He checked. I checked.

Finally, the J♥ came on the river. He bet $4.75 into the $7.10 pot. Leakishly I called, and he turned over the not unexpected AQ.

Oh yes, I too held Presto once in this session. What happened? Four of us saw the JT9 flop, and that was more than enough for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger WindBreak247 said...

Wait...you can get people to fold PF at $25 NL??

Teach me...

5:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home